BANGALORE PALACE
Bangalore Palace - The Remnants of a Bygone Era

Bangalore Palace
Anyone who sees the Bangalore Palace is bound to fall in love with it. Once youget over the initial shock of finding Tudor architecture surrounded by Indian urban scenery, it's quite an intriguing place worth exploring. It was built by Chamaraja Wodeyar, Maharaja of Mysore in 1887. The Palace flaunts turreted parapets, battlements, fortified towers and arches. At that time it costed about Rs One lakh to construct it. The land cost Rs 10 lakh.

During a visit to England, Chamaraja Wodeyar was inspired by the Windsor
Castle in London, and along similar lines he built this palace in Tudor style. The palace was earlier surrounded by beautiful gardens in the midst of a vast open rea, which have reduced considerably today.

Spread over an area of about 430 acres, the Palace is famous for its elegantly carved woodwork. It is right in the heart of the city. With a built-up area of around 45,000 sq. ft., this 120 year old monument is a popular tourist attraction. It is surrounded by a garden all around, almost giving it a fairytale setting.

The structure has fortified towers complete with Gothic windows, battlements and turrets. This palace is largely constructed of wood, and is famous for its carving and paintings. An exquisite door panel at the entrance leads to grand settings inside.

Reverend Garret originally owned the land, on which the palace stands today. Located between Jayamahal and Sadashivanagar areas, the palace ground has become a venue for various exhibitions, concerts and cultural programs. The palace is truly an architectural splendour. The interiors have breathtaking floral motifs, cornices, mouldings and relief paintings on its ceilings. However, entry to the palace is restricted.

Location: In Palace Guttahalli.
Click Here for an exclusive Interview with Srikantadatta Narasimharaja Wodeyar

For More Information on Bangalore Palace Click Here


VIDHANA SOUDHA
The majestic looking Vidhana Soudha houses the State Legislature, and is the largest Secretariat in India. Kengal Hanumanthaiah, Chief Minister of the then Mysore State between 1951-1956 was responsible for the concept, the structure and the setting of this magnificent building.

Vidhana SoudhaSupervised and executed by engineers and architects led by the then Chief Engineer, late B.R.Manickam of the Public Works Department, the Vidhana Soudha is an arresting monument. The building project was started in 1952 and took five thousand labourers, 1500 chisellers, masons and wood carvers four years to complete. Built entirely from Bangalore granite in the DravidianVidhana Soudha - Under Construction style, it has floral motifs on stone carvings drawn from the celebrated temple craft of South India.

Total floor area: 5,50,505 square feet. Length: 700 feet. Width: 350 feet. Height from floor level to top of central dome: 150 feet. The project begun in 1952 was completed in 1956.

Location: In Cubbon Park
Click Here to see the map location of Vidhana Soudha.
Click Here to view the 360 degree view of Vidhana Soudha.

For more Information on Vidhana Soudha Click Here


ATTARA KACHERI (HIGH COURT)

Attara Kacheri literally means "eighteen offices" or departments. In 1864, Commissioner Bowring conceived and prepared the plans for setting up a full-fledged secretariat building, almost a century before the Vidhana Soudha was even thought of.Attara Kacheri

It was earlier known as the Old Public Offices, housing the general revenue and secretariat of the State government. It now has the offices of the High Court of Karnataka.

The Attara Kacheri building was completed in 1868 at a cost of
Rs 4.5 lakh. The work on the building was executed by Rao Bahadur Arcot Narayanaswamy Mudaliar. It is an impressive two-storied building of stone and brick, red in colour and has been built in the Greco-Roman style. Location: In Cubbon Park

Click Here to see the map location of Attara Kacheri (High Court).

MUSEUM
State Archeological Museum
The State Archeological Museum is similar to the Attara Kacheri with the same red colour and architectural style. The original block was designed and built by Colonel Sankey, in 1876. Several wings have been added on in the later years, all of which remarkably conform to the parent style. The original collection in the museum belonged to B. L. Rice of the Mysore Gazetteer.

Location: In Cubbon Park
Click Here to see the map location of Museum

For more Information on Museums CLICK HERE


TIPU'S FORT PALACE
Tipu's Fort
TIPU'S FORT In the busy, crowded City Market area lies the remnants of Tipu's Fort. Originally this fort was built by Chikkadeva Raya and was later extended, dimantled and rebuilt by Haider Ali and Tipu Sultan.

What remains now is parts of the fort wall with a tablet marking the place where Cornwallis had breached it in 1791. In the courtyard is the Ganesha Temple that is popularly thought to represent Tipu Sultan's religious tolerance. The fort is noted for its beautifully carved arches on the gate walls.

TIPU'S PALACE

Within the fort are the remains of Tipu's Palace. Haider Ali started the construction which was completed by Tipu Sultan in 1791. It was used as a summer retreat. It was known as the "Abode of Peace". Currently the settings evoke memories of a two storied ornate wooden structure with pillars, arches and balconies. Location: In the City Market area.


SESHADRI IYER MEMORIAL HALL

Sheshadri Iyer Memorial HallThis red building with gables, in Cubbon Park was built to commemorate Sir K.Seshadri Iyer, who was the Dewan of Mysore State from 1883 to 1901. The library housed in the building was set up in 1915.The statue of Seshadri Iyer in a small rose garden, in front of the Hall was put up in 1913. The building with the statue in front forms a focal point of a long avenue coming from Hudson Circle

Location:
In Cubbon Park.
Click Here
to see the map location of Seshadri Memorial Hall.
 
Back | Top

Srirangapatna - The Tiger's Abode
Bangalore Palace 
Vidhana Soudha
Attara Kacheri
Museum
Tipu's Fort & Palace
Seshadri Iyer Memorial Hall